BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Lovely Bones - My Review.


Like many other people, 'The Lovely Bones' by Alice Sebold is one of my all-time favourite novels. I read it about 5 years ago and LOVED it. Recommended it to all and sundry and waited to hear if they all loved it too. And they did!

Yesterday, I saw this newly released film and I liked it alot.
If you have read the book and loved it too, I would give you the all clear to go and see it. You know how sometimes the film does not do justice to the book? Well, although I feel like no film version of this book would ever be 'as good' as the book - I think that this interpretation is about as good as it could get.
Peter Jackson was the perfect director. He managed to combine the awful realism of Susie Salmon's destiny and it's impact on those who loved her with her new experiences in 'the in-between' and then in Heaven.
Something that worked seamlessly in Alice Sebold's book and a reader's imagination but may not have translated very well into film. He did a great great job.

All the performances are good. Some are great. Stanley Tucci and Saoirse Ronan are particularly impressive.
This is off topic but I have to say, Susan Sarandon looks absolutely amazing for 63.
Amazing!!

I don't really have anything negative to say about this movie except that it isn't as fantastic as the book. But, I didn't think it could/would be.

If you haven't read the book, I think you would like the film - the friend I saw it with hadn't and she really enjoyed it.

One other thing I particularly liked about the film was that although the subject matter is particularly gruesome,Peter Jackson has managed to get across what happened to Susie Salmon without any graphic scenes or violence and for that I was eternally grateful!! So, if you hate any kind of blood or violence on screen like me, you will be just fine if you go to see this movie!

I would love to hear your thoughts on 'The Lovely Bones' if you've seen it or even if you've read the book...


xx

2 comments:

Kellyansapansa said...

Without giving too much away, the major difference I noticed in the movie was that Susie was in a much darker and scarier place than she was in the book. Or perhaps that's just my interpretation. On the whole though, I have to agree that the movie was handled extremely well and was probably as true to the book as a movie version could possibly be. I was slightly disappointed that we didn't get to know some of the characters as well as we did in the book, but that's inevitable in a movie made from such a complex, character-driven book.

Corinne (aka Rinny of Arabia) said...

Ooh I really want to see it but haven't been brave enough yet. It and Bright Star are on my must-see list. Glad to hear you enjoyed it.