BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, April 30, 2010

Five Year Plan.


Actually, I don't have one.
I'm not a planner.
Well, I'm not a long term planner.
I am a highly organised short term planner - but for the big picture?
I've got nothing.

I've always been this way. I hate the idea of my life being all mapped out. The element of surprise is very important to me...especially as I'm getting to be quite the old lady now and I do have responsibilities that mean I won't be popping off for an impromptu overseas trip or spending all my money on big trashy nights out. Been there, done that.
So, what's next?
That's what I've been thinking about this week.
Sd and I are relatively laid-back people. He moreso than I , but we are both 'go with the flow' type people. And we've gone with the flow and here we are! Sd is about to start studying at Uni again ( for the next 5 years) and I hope that I am looking after and having babies for a while yet ; so I think we've come to realise that it's time to make some plans for the future. Even if it goes against how we've liked to live so far...

Our life is just fine but I'm starting to see the necessity and value of having a concrete plan and a definite direction and putting our energies into getting there.

Now, we've just got to make that happen.

Do you have a five year plan?
How did you come up with it?
Any words of wisdom for me?


xx

3 comments:

PinkPatentMaryJanes said...

I used to loathe planning. I liked winging it and just seeing what would happen, but my husband's a more methodical type and now I've come around to his thinking. We'll sit down every now and again and work out what we'd like to do: travel, renovation, relaxation, family etc and then we'll plan what we need to do to get there. I like to set a deadline to work to - it helps achieve it I feel. When I was contemplating freelancing for a living I gave myself until February 09 to make the break - and did so in December 08 - but only because I got busy with the looming deadline approaching.

Long comment huh? I think it helps to identify what you want to do in life, and then work out the steps for how you'll get there. Life flies by, it seems like not that long ago that we were saving for our first mortgage and then contemplating having a baby. We've now had a mortgage for nearly 11 years and a 10-year-old.

Good luck - and have fun with it x

Kellyansapansa said...

I'm a total planner, with lists and goals and objectives for everything! On the other hand, my fiance is completely spontaneous and doesn't even like to plan ahead for dinner. It works well though, as we tend to meet in the middle so it balances out both of our excesses.

As for my five year plan, I've always set goals for milestone birthdays, eg - by the time I'm 30 I want to have ..., etc. I tend to look at what I've already achieved, what I'm currently working on and where I want to be in five years time. Obviously things change over time, particularly in terms of priorities, but that's the beauty of plans - you can always revise them!

Having turned 35 at the end of last year, I'm about to set my next five year plans, ie - by the time I'm 40.

And no, I didn't achieve everything on my 35 list, but I substituted some great things, which is very satisfying!

Kellyansapansa said...

And I think I beat your comment length PPMJ!